KIWI: Mixtape/Free Tickets to Kate Boss
You might know Kiwi from his DJ sets, taking a vintage approach to house music, vocally rich, bass heavy and not a beat above 126 BPM; you might know Kiwi from his clubnight, Orlando Boom where local and international DJs tear up the decks side by side; you might even know him by his real name, Alex Warren; and now you might as well know him as the voice of reason in London’s underground dance scene.
After being spoiled with an array of cutting edge and dynamic clubnights and defining the global sound of electronic music Londoners may almost be forgiven for forgetting that house music has its roots in a sprawling array of sounds and styles, evolving decades before it came neatly packaged on Beatport. Kiwi is here to take electronic music back to those roots, to all of those sounds and styles that provide its herritage, from jazz, soul and Motown through Chicago and Detroit, Berlin, Manchester and back to London where every month his new clubnight, the aptly titled Kate Boss, will become not only a celebration but an education making sense of House in its current form.
In his own, far more lyrical, words:
“You will be transported through time to the true roots of the great house genre. We will visit Jacks House, we will groove to Frankie Knuckles in the legendary Chicago ‘Warehouse’ and we will understand why gospel, soul, funk and disco are all so damn important. We will then drive to Detroit and see how techno house was born. We will fly back to the UK and watch ‘Raze’ enter our top ten pop chart. Flowing through the 90s fluttering in and out of the states, to the point where we are today; still underground, still House Music.”
The first night will see one of the godfathers of house vocal sound, Robert Owens of Fingers Inc., play an astounding four hour set, tinged with his unique vocal style, a violinist and kicked off with an hour of candlelit soul.
So to get you in the mood we have Kiwi’s latest mix, recorded live, as ever, and TEN FREE TICKETS if you can answer the following:
Robert Owens made his name in the 80s with which Chicago house outfit?
Send your answers to email@example.com with the subject ‘KATE BOSS’.
Kate Boss will be held at the Nest in Dalston,
36 Stoke Newington Road
Here’s Kiwi’s summer mix to wind around to:
The Summer Mix (Recorded live) by Kiwi by Kiwi
1) Fear of numbers – Footprintz
2) Houston We Have A Problem (Original Mix) – Genius Of Time
3) Bakerman (Soul Clap Remix) – Laid Back
4) Envision (Ame Acoustic Remix) – Osunlade
5) Want You In My Soul ft. Stee Downes (Original Mix) – Lovebirds
6) The Shady Shores – Tanner Ross & Soul Clap
7) Best Of – Deniz Kurtel & Mykle Anthony
8) I Can’t Get No Sleep – Joe and Will Ask vs Kiwi
9) Body Shiver – Waifs and Strays
10) Everybody (kiwi remix) – Miguel Migs
11) Falling (Original Mix) – Maceo Plex
12) Open for Service – Crazy P
13) Cruel Summer (Summer Dub) – Bananarama
14) Love Recycled 1 (Original Mix) – Solomun
15) Got To Be Real (The Giraffe, the Pelly and Us edit) – Cheryl Lynn
16) Lost In Music (Gay Marvine edit) – Sister Sledge
17) New Life (Perseus ‘Summer of 83′ Remix) – Jeremy Glenn
18) Get up disco – Soho808